- Youth Participation in Decision Making Structures
- Defense and Security
- Synergies/Cooperation between young people of the EastMed
Thematic: Youth Participation in Decision Making Structures
Recommendations to the competent Authorities of the Republic of Cyprus (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cultural Services, Cyprus Youth Council), to the Academic Community and to the Civil Society with emphasis on youth organizations
1. Signing of Memoranda of Understanding on youth related matters between the Eastern Mediterranean Countries, with suggestions related to the content to come from young people themselves. Suggestion youth issues to become a priority of the Republic of Cyprus in bilateral and tripartite meetings, and Cyprus to have the initiative in relation to the discussion and agreement in relation to these MOUs.
2. Participation of young people in meetings between Heads of State and/or Ministers in the margins of bilateral and/or tripartite high-level meetings between Cyprus and the Eastern Mediterranean Countries, in order to exchange views and promote the ideas of young people to enhance cooperation in EastMed.
3. Incorporation of youth issues in the discussions during bilateral/tripartite meetings.
4. Organizing a Youth Forum in Cyprus with the participation of young people from all the countries of the Eastern Mediterranean with the aim to discuss ideas and proposals for enhancing the relations of Eastern Mediterranean Countries on topics such as energy, climate change, culture, education, immigration, unemployment, and other social problems faced by young people in all the Eastern Mediterranean Countries etc. The results of the Forum will be sent to all the Eastern Mediterranean Countries for consideration and further actions. The Forum can be institutionalized and can take place every year in Cyprus.
5. Mapping and/or motivating the creation of similar organizations such as Cyprus Youth DiplomaCY in all the Eastern Mediterranean countries and/or designing/implementing similar projects to the EastMed Youth Ambassadors Program, in order to cooperate with the EastMed Youth Ambassadors Project in Cyprus with the aim to implement joint actions and projects. Examining the possibility of creating EastMed Youth Boards with the participation of youth organizations from all the Eastern Mediterranean Countries.
6. Promote the exchange of volunteers as well as the cooperation between NGOs and youth NGOs from Eastern Mediterranean countries and partners on issues related to the migration crisis and natural disasters.
7. Cooperation, organization, and promotion of joint training of volunteers from all Eastern Mediterranean Countries to handle crises and needs that arise / may arise in the region.
8. Organize online meetings between officials, technocrats, diplomats, etc. from Eastern Mediterranean Countries on the one hand and youth on the other, discussing, inter alia, the challenges facing young women in the region. The conclusions to be produced shall be forwarded to the decision-making structures of Eastern Mediterranean Countries.
9. Establishment of youth exchange programs between young people of the Eastern Mediterranean and the European Union, with emphasis on issues such as climate change, culture, traditions, technology, environment, with the aim of to educate young people and encourage creating joint proposals and projects.
Recommendations to competent authorities of the Republic of Cyprus (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cultural Services), to the academic community and to the Civil Society, with emphasis on youth organizations
1. Organization of multicultural seminars/events/ festivals in order to promote the culture and civilization of the Eastern Mediterranean Countries through the promotion of gastronomy, local products, music, arts etc.
2.Organization of events, educational visits and seminars for young people of Cyprus on issues related to Cyprus’ relations and common history between Eastern Mediterranean countries [for example the British Jewish refugee camps in Cyprus after the Holocaust ( 1946-1949)].
3. Utilization of digital media to promote cultural heritage of the Eastern Mediterranean Countries, for example the digitization of cultural monuments located in the Eastern Mediterranean region.
4. Establishment of Cypriot Institutes and/or chairs of Greek and Cypriot studies in Countries of the Eastern Mediterranean.
5. Organizing education days with emphasis in culture and cultural relations of the Eastern Mediterranean Countries.
6. Creation/development of EastMed Cruises, meaning cruises with emphasis on culture and the culture of the Eastern Mediterranean region, where cruise ships will be making stops in ports of Eastern Mediterranean countries. Passengers can be embarking/disembarking in any port they wish and will be following a cultural program specifically designed for these cruises to meet people and cultures in the EastMed region. Passengers will have the opportunity to embark again at any time they wish in order to visit another port and they will have the opportunity to visit as many ports as they want.
7. Utilizing, further developing and promoting relations with Greek Orthodox churches in the EastMed region, for example with the patriarchies of Alexandria and Jerusalem.
8. Initiative to be undertaken by the Republic of Cyprus to promote interfaith dialogue in the Eastern Mediterranean through the organization of conferences/seminars/ further activities in Cyprus, with the participation of religious leaders of the EastMed region.
9. Providing incentives and State scholarships for the purpose of learning languages of the Eastern Mediterranean States.
10. Organizing sports’ competitions between young people of the Eastern Mediterranean (e.g. swimming completions, athletics, football, basketball and/or other sports).
11. Creation of an information center for the British detention camps for Jewish refugees in Cyprus (1946-1949) at the Embassy of the Republic of Cyprus in the State of Israel (e.g. holding a permanent photo exhibition at the Embassy premises).
Recommendations to competent Authorities of the Republic of Cyprus (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports and Youth) and the Academic Community
1. Promotion of existing scholarship opportunities of Cyprus’ university institutions to students from Eastern Mediterranean Countries and/or suggestion to provide further scholarship opportunities.
2. Promotion and development of relations between university institutions based in Eastern Mediterranean countries for the purpose of co-organizing talks, conferences, developing exchange programs for students and the academia, as well as developing research consortia on various topics (e.g. social sciences, technology, etc.).
3. Reaching agreements for the recognition of degrees between universities based and active in Eastern Mediterranean countries. In case of non-achievement of degree recognitions’, development of an examination mechanism for the recognition of diplomas and degrees from universities of the Eastern Mediterranean Countries.
4. Development of collaborations of interdisciplinary study programs between university institutions as well as development of collaborations to meet the needs of Cypriot universities.
5. Strengthening of the role that university students in Eastern Mediterranean countries can play, such as the establishment of student clubs to promote relations between students from Eastern Mediterranean countries (e.g. the creation of the EastMed Youth Clubs/Student groups/ EastMed Nights for young people with the participation of artists/music from all Eastern Mediterranean countries).
6. Establishment of a Student Exchange Program (like Erasmus) between universities based in Eastern Mediterranean countries
Thematic: Economy / Entrepreneurship / Technology
Recommendations to competent Authorities of the Republic of Cyprus (the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as the economic and business community of Cyprus
1. Establishment of a cooperation framework for joint ventures and/or collaborations and/or exchange of ideas between young entrepreneurs or start-ups in the Eastern Mediterranean region (e.g. utilization of a youth entrepreneurship model)
2. Creation of an Eastern Mediterranean Youth Business Forum, with the participation of young people up to 35 years old and/or young entrepreneurs and/or start-ups and/or startups for the purpose of networking, exchange of ideas, partnership of young entrepreneurs and the promotion of youth and women entrepreneurship. Partnership/cooperation with the Cyprus and Industrial Chamber for the Creation of the Forum.
3. Organization of international conferences/events/exhibitions/competitions with the aim of presenting, developing, upgrading, and researching innovative technologies in topics such as energy, robotics, artificial intelligence, biochemistry, virtual reality, augmented reality, pharmacy, and medicine.
4. Creation of an action plan for the promotion of Cypriot companies in Eastern Mediterranean countries
5. Establishment of a joint fund for financing business partnerships between companies based in the Eastern Mediterranean States
6. Establishment of an exchange program for young entrepreneurs active in Eastern Mediterranean countries with the aim of exchanging good practices and strengthening and promoting collaborations (in the same way as Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs)
Recommendations to the competent Authorities of the Republic of Cyprus and to the Civil Society with special emphasis on youth organizations
1. Utilization of the Diaspora, with special emphasis on utilizing youth of the Diaspora, to promote relations between the Eastern Mediterranean countries and to carry out relevant actions in their countries of residence such as:
i. Collaboration and development of synergies with the Greek-American lobby in the USA, through programs and organizations such as the Cypriot Young Professionals, the American Hellenic Institute, the Hellenic American Leadership Council among others.
ii. Cooperation and development of synergies with diaspora organizations with an emphasis on youth, and especially the Youth of the World Organisation for Young Overseas Cypriots (NEPOMAK).
iii. Organizing and promoting joint events and creating a campaign to promote the relations of the Eastern Mediterranean countries and the role that the diaspora can play.
2. Further promotion, utilization and strengthening of the programs of Diaspora that already exist and are related to the strengthening and promotion of the relations of the Eastern Mediterranean Countries.
3. Utilization of diaspora personalities from Eastern Mediterranean countries living and being active in Cyprus.
Thematic: Defence and Security
Recommendations to the competent Authorities of the Republic of Cyprus (Ministry of Defense and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Cyprus)
1. Development of cooperation of the Republic of Cyprus with the State of Israel on issues related to:
i) Military Training
ii) Utilization of innovative technological tools and weapon systems
iii) Upgrading the role of women in the National Army through training and good practice by the State of Israel
2. Upgrading the role of women in Cyprus in issues related to defense and security through the adoption and exchange of good practices with countries in the region of Eastern Mediterranean.
3. Conducting information and education seminars for women in Cyprus regarding terminology related to defense and security issues.
4. Organizing conferences and trainings on Defense and Security issues with the participation of officials and technocrats from the Eastern Mediterranean States.
5. Development of Synergies and Partnerships between the Eastern Mediterranean States to address common cybersecurity risks.
Thematic: Development of Synergies / Collaborations among the Youth of the Eastern Mediterranean
Suggestions to Civil Society and Youth Organizations in Cyprus
1. Development of synergies/collaborations of Cypriot youth NGOs with youth networks that already exist in the Eastern Mediterranean countries such as the Young Mediterranean Voices & Youth Peace Initiatives etc. for carrying out joint actions and events on various youth issues
2. Create joint online campaigns, for example social media campaigns and blogs to highlight social issues in the Eastern Mediterranean region.
3. Exchange of good practices for the prevention of extremism, radicalization, antisemitism, and all forms of discrimination
4. Co-organise joint activities on issues such as the role of young people in tackling climate change, gender equality, interfaith dialogue, peace and security.
5. Creation of a leaflet by youth of the Eastern Mediterranean region, which will be published by the EastMed Youth Ambassadors team in the form of an online magazine or app and will highlight political and social issues of the Eastern Mediterranean Countries and region
6. Utilization of European Union and Council of Europe funds as well as other financial resources for the creation of youth exchange programs in the Eastern Mediterranean countries.
For more information in relation to the “Youth for Cooperation and Security in Eastern Mediterranean” project please visit the websites www.cyprusyouthdiplomacy.com or contact Cyprus Youth DiplomaCY at email@example.com .